- Grape Varieties: Verdelho
- Vineyards: Quality vineyards including Ponta Delgada at altitudes between 150 and 200m.
- Vinification: Cossart Gordon 10 year old Verdelho underwent fermentation off the skins with natural yeast at between 18°C - 21°C in temperature controlled stainless steel tanks. After approximately 4 days, fortification with grape brandy takes place, arresting fermentation at the desired degree of sweetness.
- Maturation: Cossart Gordon 10 year old Verdelho was aged in American oak casks in the traditional ‘Canteiro’ system. This comprises of the gentle heating of the wine in the lofts of the lodges in Funchal. Over the years the wine is transferred from the top floors to the middle floors and eventually to the ground floor where it is cooler. After this gradual ‘estufagem’ the wine underwent racking and fining before the blend was assembled and bottled.
- Specification: Alcohol: 19% ABV pH: 3.44 Residual Sugar: 62 g/l Total Acidity: 6.08 g/l tartaric acid
- Serving & Cellarage: Cossart Gordon 10 year old Verdelho is fined and does not require decanting. It is excellent as an aperitif, but is also exceedingly good with soups, feathered game and patês. It has been bottled when ready for drinking and will keep for several months after opening.
- Tasting Notes: Clear, topaz colour with a golden nuance. Complex and intense aromas of resin, dried fruits, wood and spice. Medium dry, concentrated and fresh. Steely acidity and a long luxurious finish.
“Amber tawny colour with a complex nose of orange peel, vanilla and toasty oak. The palate is dense with spices and sweet dried fruit leading to perfectly balanced sweetness.”
Wine, November 2001
Bronze Medal – IWC 2002 & 2003